How to Make Homemade Recycled Toys Crafts
In today's throwaway culture, toys often find themselves quickly discarded, contributing to the growing waste problem in landfills that takes hundreds of years to decompose. Instead of succumbing to your child's next tantrum and buying yet another disposable toy, why not engage them in a rewarding and eco-friendly activity? By making toys together using recycled materials, you can have fun, save money, teach your child about sustainability, and help protect the environment.
In this article by OneHOWTO, we present a range of examples and ideas on how to create toys using recycled materials.
Toy trucks from plastic bottles
One incredibly creative idea is to make trucks using plastic bottles and bottle caps. Specifically, you'll want to use bottles that are commonly used for detergent, soaps, softener, and similar products. These bottles have a handle that can serve as a window, but with the help of a utility knife, you can also create additional openings.
To create the wheels for the truck, you can repurpose the bottle caps and attach them using glue.
To add a personal touch, feel free to decorate the truck using adhesive tape or permanent markers. You can also paint them to transform them into various types of vehicles like an ambulance, fire truck, or even a pizza delivery van. The possibilities for customization are endless!
This creative project not only helps you repurpose plastic bottles and caps that would otherwise end up in a landfill, but it also provides an engaging activity for you and your child to enjoy together. Get ready to unleash your imagination and create your very own fleet of unique trucks!
If you have more plastic bottles lying around, do not miss this other article, in which we provide more ideas to make crafts with plastic bottles.
Here's another fantastic way to turn waste materials into a fun toy: transforming soft cheese boxes, plastic egg boxes, and lollipop sticks into an alien spacecraft! With just a few easily accessible items found at home, you can embark on an exciting DIY project. Here's how:
- Cut out one of the compartments from the plastic egg box and create a hole of the same size in the soft cheese cardboard box, ensuring a snug fit between the two.
- In the other part of the soft cheese box, make four holes where you can insert the lollipop sticks. You can use sharp scissors or a utility knife to create these holes.
- Find a suitable top made of cork, plastic, or a similar material that will serve as the alien driver and fits inside the spacecraft.
- Let your creativity soar by decorating the UFO and its extraterrestrial pilot! You can use water-based paint, adhesives, or any other materials you have on hand.
By repurposing these materials, you're not only reducing waste but also encouraging imagination and resourcefulness. Get ready to embark on an intergalactic adventure with your very own alien spacecraft made from recycled items!
Another wonderful option is to create traditional games like dominoes using waste materials. Instead of relying on recycled materials, this particular project calls for flat stones of medium size, such as those commonly found along riverbanks or beaches.
To make a complete set of dominoes, you'll need 28 stones that are roughly the same size. Once you have gathered these stones, paint them with the corresponding numberings, ranging from the double blank to double six, to complete the set.
By repurposing natural stones, you not only breathe new life into discarded materials but also create a unique and environmentally friendly version of the classic domino game. Get ready to enjoy hours of entertainment with your homemade set of stone dominoes!
Cardboard parking lot
Get ready to ignite your child's imagination with a captivating toy that can be crafted using recycled materials—a multi-story parking lot that guarantees hours of fun for children and their toy cars. The best part? You only need a few simple materials: foldable cardboard (like the kind used for boxes), paint, and a paintbrush.
- Begin by marking the path that the toy cars will follow on the cardboard.
- Create cuts in the ramp areas that will connect the upper and lower floors.
- Join the cardboard platforms together to form the ascending and descending pathways through which the toy vehicles will travel.
- For added creativity, consider placing the cardboard platforms on stairs and connecting each step with ramps.
By repurposing cardboard and using a little imagination, you can create a custom multi-story parking lot that will provide hours of entertainment. Let the little ones' imaginations run wild as they explore the different levels and pathways with their beloved toy cars!
Snake with corks
Don't let those discarded cork bottle tops go to waste! They can be transformed into a delightful snake toy that's sure to bring joy. At OneHOWTO, we're excited to share this fun and eco-friendly craft idea with you. Here's what you'll need:
- Cork bottle tops
- Needle or sharp object
And here is what you need to do:
- Begin by cutting all the cork bottle tops into equal sizes.
- Use a needle or a sharp object to make a hole in the middle of each cork, creating a space to thread the string through.
- Thread the corks onto the string, connecting them to form the snake's body. You can make the snake as long as you like!
- Once all the corks are in place, tie a knot at the end of the string to serve as a stopper, ensuring the snake doesn't come apart.
- Finally, unleash your creativity by using a pen or paint to bring the snake to life, adding a face and any other details you desire.
By reimagining cork bottle tops, you not only reduce waste, but also create a playful and personalized toy. Enjoy the process of crafting your very own cork snake, a unique and eco-friendly addition to your child's toy collection.
Toilet paper roll bats
Toilet paper roll toys are not only perfect for playtime, but also for creating quick decorations, especially for Halloween. They are incredibly versatile, as a cardboard cylinder can be transformed into hundreds of different animals and characters with just a little imagination. You will need:
- Toilet paper roll
- Googly eye stickers (optional)
And here is what you need to do:
- Begin by painting the toilet paper roll with acrylic paint or a similar type of paint. Choose colors that suit the character or animal you have in mind.
- While the paint is drying, take some colored cardboard or paper and draw the facial features of your toy, such as eyes, nose, mouth, ears, or wings.
- Cut out the features you've drawn and wait for the paint on the toilet paper roll to dry completely.
- Once the paint is dry, use glue to attach the cardboard features to the toilet paper roll. Allow the glue to dry fully.
- For an extra touch of fun, you can stick googly eye stickers onto the toy. This will give it a cool and animated look!
With just a few simple steps and some basic materials, you can transform a humble toilet paper roll into a delightful toy or decoration. Let your creativity run wild as you bring your cardboard cylinder to life!
Experience a timeless classic and create a simple toy using recycled materials. All you need are two tin cans and a piece of string to make your own homemade tin can telephone.
Here is what you need to do:
- Begin by making a small hole in the base of each tin can, ensuring it is just large enough for the string to pass through.
- Thread the piece of string through the holes of both cans and tie a secure knot from the inside of each can.
- To optimize the functionality of the telephone, pull the string taut, creating tension between the cans.
Enjoy the excitement of communication as you explore the wonders of sound transmission with your homemade tin can telephone. This easy and eco-friendly craft is perfect for both children and adults. Get ready to connect and have fun with this classic recycled toy!
Be sure to check this other article, where we explain how to make crafts out of shoe boxes.
Egg box insects
Don't overlook those empty egg boxes lying around at home—they can be transformed into fantastic creepy crawlies! Egg boxes are not only a common waste material but also a safe and versatile medium for crafting. They can serve as paint palettes or be repurposed to create a variety of insect-inspired creations. You will need:
- 1 egg box
- Colors (paint or markers)
- Googly eyes
- Begin by cutting out each individual cup from the egg box.
- Choose the insect you want to create and paint the egg box cups accordingly. For example, paint them green for a caterpillar or use different colors for other insects.
- Near the top of each cup, create holes and turn the cups upside down so that the base is facing upward.
- Thread a piece of string through the holes of each cup, attaching them together. For a caterpillar, you'll need several cups joined together.
- Attach googly eyes to the cups to give your caterpillar or other insect a charming and playful appearance.
- If your insect has legs, you can also use felt sticks to create them, attaching them to the cups.
With a bit of creativity and a few simple materials, you can transform an egg box into a captivating collection of creepy crawlies. From caterpillars to beetles and beyond, let your imagination take flight as you breathe new life into this everyday waste material. Enjoy the process and watch your egg box insects come to life!
Do not miss this other article where we provide more ideas on how to create crafts for children using recycled materials.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Homemade Recycled Toys Crafts, we recommend you visit our Art & handicraft category.
- Be creative and try to invent some toys of your own!
- Encourage your children to come up with ideas on their own! It´ll stimulate their imagination and fill them with pride!