How to Mix Paint Colors to Make Beige - What Colors Make Beige?
Beige can be a tricky color to achieve through paint as adding a bit more or less of a certain color will change its shade. Many people also wonder how to achieve this color with different types of paint.
In this oneHOWTO article we're going to explain how to mix paint colors to make beige, as well as what colors make beige. Keep reading to learn how to make this color and its different shades!
What colors make beige
The color beige is also known as cream color, however, sometimes they are considered to be different shades of the same color. Depending on the paints used to make it, this color is obtained with different amounts of the same colors. If you want to know how to make beige, you will need to keep in mind what colors make beige:
- The first is to use a pure white paint as a base and add just a drop of yellow paint. The yellowish hue serves to turn the white base into a beige or cream color. This color can easily vary depending on the combination, so you will have to practice mixing and the amounts of each color until you get the beige tone you were looking for.
- The second way you can go to create the beige color is to use a white base paint and add two tones in small quantities: light yellow and coffee brown.
The latter will provide a different shade to that obtained with the first option, but also pigeonholed among the cream-colored tones.
How to make beige with tempera
Among the different paints with which you can make beige, tempera is one of the most popular. Follow these steps to make beige with tempera:
- In all the color mixing options to create this color you will need a white paint base.
- Starting with a large quantity of white paint, add a few drops of yellow and optionally brown paint (depending on the beige color you want). If the temperas are tube, include each color in a palette and, if they are from a bottle, use different brushes so as not to stain the bottles of each paint with other tones. Remember to apply a little amount of water to the brush to get the amount of paint you need and the tone you prefer.
- Use a brush again to mix the paints to a homogeneous beige color.
Remember that tempera paint allows you to vary the color made after drying. How? Very simple, you will simply have to wet the brush a little before passing it over the paint again. Thus, you can make a new mixture and tone the beige or cream tone previously created.
How to make beige with acrylics
You can also prepare beige with acrylic paint. You simply need to follow these steps:
- Select an all-white paint and use it as a base for mixing. Some kits of this type of paint indicate it as “pure white” on the label.
- On a canvas or on the palette, depending on the type of drawing or craft you are doing, add a wide line of white paint (3 or 4 seconds). Along the sides, add another smaller line of light yellow paint (1 or 2 drops) and optionally the same type of fine line but of brown paint (1 drop).
- With a brush, mix all the paint until you get the beige color. Depending on the distribution of quantities that you have made, you will get one tone or another of this color.
How to make beige with toners or dyes
Making beige with toners is one more alternative and is widely used to paint beige or cream walls. These toners are used to tint many types of paint such as plastic, vinyl, latex, acrylic or water. To make the beige color correctly with toners or paint dyes, at oneHOWTO we recommend you follow these steps:
- Choose a white base paint.
- For every liter of white paint, you cannot add more than 60 cubic centimeters (cc) of stain. Otherwise, the paint will lose its adhesion on different surfaces and will generate stains of dye by not completely dissolving.
- So, if you have a liter of white paint, add a maximum of 30 cc of yellow dye to get the beige color. For every 4 liters, you will have to add 120 cc of dye.
- With the help of a paint mixer, mix the stain and white paint until you get a cream color.
How to make light beige color
Beige can have two different tones depending on its clarity, and can be lighter or darker. If you intend to make a light cream shade, do not use brown paint and use the base of white with a very small amount of basic yellow or, in any case, use it in a color that is already light yellow. In this way, you will know how to make sand color with paint, since the light beige tone resulting from this mixture will resemble that of light sand. We also recommend you take a look at our article about how to make brown and its shade with paint.
Taking that into account, for all the tones that you want to lighten, you will need to use white, in this case it will be even easier, since it is the color used as the base to make the mixture. Therefore, to achieve the desired hue and remain a light tone, we recommend using only light yellow tones or in a small amount and adjusting the amounts of each color in the mixture as you see the result until you achieve the tone you were looking for. Other very common tones that start from the beige color and become lighter are bone color, ivory color and champagne color.
How to make dark beige color
If what you want is to make a dark beige color, the second alternative mentioned at the beginning of this article is your best option, that is, by adding a bit of brown paint to your mix. This shade will provide a greater contrast to the white and yellow color of the base mix, thus creating a darker shade. You can add more of this shade of brown or less depending on how dark you want the beige color.
If you're looking into how to make different shades of beige for different skin tones, we recommend you watch the video below that goes into greater depth of the different shades you can achieve for varying skin tones using acrylic paint.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Mix Paint Colors to Make Beige - What Colors Make Beige?, we recommend you visit our Art & handicraft category.