Topaz Stone Color Meanings and Uses
Topaz is a precious stone full of meaning, properties and utilities. It is a jewel characterized by its hardness and its various colors. This variation in color has partly led to its popularity as it is diverse. It has also helped it to symbolize various interpretations and meanings. Although a common and cheap stone, topaz is found in various decorations, jewelry and even kept on its own as a gemstone.
At oneHOWTO, we explain the meanings of topaz stones according to color. We also explain its properties and uses to see if it can be of use to you.
What is topaz?
Topaz is a precious stone characterized by its hardness and durability. Its composition can be of fluorine, aluminum oxide or silica, among other aluminosilicate minerals. In its natural state, common topaz is colorless. However, trace element impurities can change its color. Depending on the color you can find reddish, yellow, orange, white, gold, pink and even blue topaz.
Moreover, each topaz gemstone isn't necessarily one single color. Topaz is considered a pleochroic stone, meaning it can be seen to have different colors depending on the light and angles affecting it. This stone is commonly used in jewelry and is also considered a gem with great power and therapeutic properties by certain spiritual practitioners.
Currently, the largest topaz deposit in the world is in Brazil. However, it is a stone that can come from many countries, including Russia, Pakistan, the United States, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe or Ukraine, where there are mines of considerable size.
Properties of topaz gemstones
Topaz is a stone that many believe has therapeutic properties. In the Vedic tradition, it is associated with the fifth primary chakra known as Vishuddha. This chakra is associated with joy, creativity, generosity and abundance.
It is said that through this precious stone, a higher level of energy can be obtained on a physical level. In addition, the spiritual meaning of topaz explains that it also provides greater energy on a mental level. It is often used to overcome limitations, barriers or obstacles. Topaz is also known as the stone of frankness, sincerity or truth.
Numerous healing and spiritual properties have been attributed to the mineral topaz. These are some of them:
- It allows you to increase your self-knowledge, making you investigate your own life to give yourself greater energy.
- Through topaz, you will achieve greater personal strength and self-confidence. For this reason, it is a gemstone used by the timid, as they will lose their fear of making mistakes and will be able to express themselves more freely.
- If you have concerns or something that keeps you unsettled, topaz is said to give you the serenity, energy and confidence to stay at peace.
- Used to combat stress.
- Has been used against headaches, headaches or migraines.
In addition, the color of the topaz can also influence one or other therapeutic properties:
- Blue topaz: the meaning of blue topaz on a physical level claims it allows you to improve your vision. We point out that the properties of blue topaz treat the third eye and the throat chakra.
- Yellow or golden topaz: is said to help take care of your liver, gallbladder, intestines, spleen and endocrine glands. In addition, it is beneficial against nervous exhaustion and insufficient combustion of nutrients.
- Pink topaz: it is used to treat myopia and tuberculosis. In addition, it has been used to combat stress and putting it under your pillow is said to help you achieve better rest
- White topaz: associated with maintaining strong health.
It is important to note the use of topaz as a medicine for physical or mental health problems is not supported by scientific research, beyond the placebo effect.
Topaz stone meanings according to color
Topaz is a precious stone is often confused with many other stones. Different origins and different meanings have being attributed to it, usually varying according to each civilization. Historically its reputation has been such that many consider this stone one of the most important in traditional jewelry and it is considered a substitute for diamond.
If we look at its different origins to know its meaning, it can be said that for some it derives from old Sanskrit, where topaz means fire. Fire is associated with topaz due to the color of imperial topaz which has orange and reddish tones. For others, it derives from the Greek and means to search.
The only certainty in the history of topaz is that Pliny, in his writings, explained that topaz owes its name to the island in the Red Sea. This is where important deposits of this precious stone were found. Pliny referred to this legendary island as Topazos, from which the name ‘topaz’ was derived.
For many years it was thought that the topaz was actually a diamond, which is why it was given the name Diamond of Braganza and in 1740 it was included in the exclusive jewelry collection of the Portuguese crown. Perhaps this happened because of the colorless topaz that could simulate a diamond and, today, also acts as its cheap substitute given its similarity.
Gemstones such as the blue topaz are associated with certain astrological signs. See for yourself in our article on gemstones for Aquarius.
Topaz colors and meanings
As we have indicated, the topaz can vary its tonality. This is because coloring agents such as iron or chrome can make this stone take on different colors. However, its tones are not bright, but rather subtle, which makes topaz an elegant, sober and sophisticated stone, especially when used in jewelry.
Each color brings a different meaning:
- Blue topaz: associated with wisdom and the angels of truth. Blue topaz can be used to meditate and connect with the inner self. It is said to help you live in harmony with your aspirations and your points of view. Also, through the blue topaz you will be able to remember all the moments lived and you will be able to recognize where you went wrong or deviated from your truth and your path. Finally, blue topaz is considered to be endowed with oratorical skills, so if you need to develop your leadership skills or speak in public, many people use topaz.
- Gold: this color gives topaz the name imperial topaz and is focused on the spiritual side, acting as a recharging battery of faith and optimism. The properties of imperial topaz are said to be numerous. It is believed to help you grow on a personal level. The imperial topaz is one of the most sought after due to its natural beauty, but it is also associated with the Solar Plexus. This allows you to attract fame and social recognition, in addition to enhancing your own abilities. It's to give you confidence, security and charisma. Brown topaz can also be included in this classification.
- Pink: it is difficult to find a pink topaz naturally, so those fortunate enough to have one are considered very lucky. The scarcity of this stone, which can only be found in Brazil, Pakistan and Russia, makes it a special type of topaz loaded with meaning. Therefore, it is considered the stone of hope and will act as a guide to offer you radiant health.
- White: white topaz has a special beauty and is focused on protection . Through this topaz you will achieve good health and emotional balance. For this reason, historically, numerous sailors and conquerors used it as a talisman.
- Clear tones: topazes with light tones are said to be effective in eliminating stagnant energy and preventing you from dwelling in the past. Through this topaz you will be able to move towards your truth and find the right path to achieve your goals. It is known that the properties of mystic topaz are assimilated to topazes with light shades.
Due to their similarity, we need to be careful when buying diamonds to ensure they haven't been replaced with topaz. Here you can find out how to tell if a diamond is real.
What are topaz gemstones used for?
Topaz is one of the most popular gemstones in the world of jewelry. This is its main use. We can find it in different types of jewelry, such as necklaces, rings, pendants, bracelets or earrings. Being a precious stone that has different colors, it is very versatile, it can even be combined with other precious or semi-precious stones.
Colorless or light-colored topaz has become the inexpensive substitute for diamond, given its striking resemblance. Likewise, the giant topaz has been used in collector's items, decoration or sculpture, since in addition to being exquisite and exclusive, they can be cut into huge perfect crystals.
If you are a great lover of gemstones and want to find out more about this world, you can see what different gemstones are used for. Here we show you the best gemstones to attract love and the best gemstones to attract wealth.
If you want to read similar articles to Topaz Stone Color Meanings and Uses, we recommend you visit our Art & handicraft category.