How to Make Purple Acrylic Paint
Purple is a beautiful color used for many reasons in art. As a painter, you will want to know how to make this color so as to expand your creativity.
In this oneHOWTO article we're going to explain how to make purple acrylic paint, tempera and more. Continue reading to learn more!
Which colors do you mix to make purple?
To make purple you'll need to mix two primary colors: blue and red. To get a different tone of purple, you can play with the amounts you use and even the tones of blue and red you use. For example:
- If you want a dark purple, try using darker tones of blue and red. Make sure to mix them well to have a unified color.
- If you want a light purple, try using lighter tones of blue and red. Again, make sure it is well mixed.
How to make purple with acrylics
To make the purple color mix with acrylics, you need to have the following materials:
- Red, magenta or pink acrylic paint.
- Blue, navy blue or dark blue acrylic paint.
- White acrylic paint, if you want to make a light or soft purple shade.
- A container.
- Wooden pallets or brushes to make and stir the mixture.
Steps to make purple with acrylic paint
- Mix the primary colors red and blue to achieve a purple hue.
- Add a bit of another color, depending on whether you want a lighter or darker shade. You can use white, pink, magenta, or navy blue or even black, until you get the shade you want.
- Make sure to mix everything well so it becomes a uniform color.
More ways to get purple with acrylics
- One way to get to this color with the exact shade you are looking for is by checking your local art shop and seeing is they have the exact shade you're looking for. Or, you can find the closest option to your desired shade, and then add white or navy blue to get the exact shade you're looking for.
- To make the perfect purple color, painters often mix pink with ultramarine blue. You could also use basic magenta or quinacridone magenta.
How to make purple with tempera
Next, we give you several tips and combinations with which you can make purple with tempera:
- To create a soft purple color, make sure your mix has a little more red than blue. However, if you want it to look more lilac, try using a little magenta or adding a bit of white.
- If, on the other hand, you want to get a darker purple color, you can add small drops of black. Not too much, as you can completely change the color. Add one drop in, and mix it well. If you want it darker, add another drop and repeat this process until you get the color you want.
If you're enjoying this article, you may also be interested in how to make turquoise color.
How to make purple with modeling clay
To make purple modeling clay , you will need the following material and follow these steps:
- Blue plasticine.
- Red plasticine (more quantity than blue).
- Plasticines of other colors if you want to lighten or darken the result more. You will need colors such as: white, pink, magenta, dark blue or black.
Steps to make purple with modeling clay
- Join the two colors by kneading the modeling clay without stopping mixing, until you see a uniform color.
- If you want it lighter, add white clay.
- If you want it darker, add dark blue or even black clay.
- Knead until it has a uniform color.
How to make purple with edible dyes
Purple food coloring is often used as a decorative element in various meals or desserts, for example in cakes or pies. With these steps, you will also know how to make purple for cake with vegetable coloring. To do this, you must do the following:
- Put 10 drops of red food coloring in a small container.
- Add five drops of blue food coloring.
- Stir the mixture with a whisk or spoon to combine the colors until it reaches the color purple.
- If necessary, add more red or blue to get the shade you desired.
Now that you know how to make purple with various techniques, you may also be interested in learning how to make fuchsia in different ways with this other article. You can also watch this video about how to make purple fondant for your cuisine.
Uses of acrylic purple paint
When it comes to art, your only limits are your creativity. You can truly use the color purple for whatever you want and let your imagination run wild as you paint with different colors. Nevertheless, if you need some inspiration here are some:
- Sweet potato
- Morning glory
If you're a painter, you may also be interested in our article about how to paint a plant pot. You can also watch this video about how to paint purple clouds for beginners.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Purple Acrylic Paint, we recommend you visit our Art & handicraft category.